Tuesday, June 21, 2016

What did I listen to while writing the screenplay? My PLAYLISTS!

Most of my writer and artist friends develop pretty particular habits when they are involved in their creative process, and I am no different at all in that regard. A great number of those artists develop "playlists" that either have certain significance,or just serve to inspire them in the way they need to get and stay busy. While I listened to A LOT of other music, and often would just play the same video on Youtube over and over 4-6 times, I created two playlists that were played in constant rotation.

Just in case you were interested, you will find both "volumes" below.


The END of FUN Playlist Vol.  1
"Parklife" -- Blur
"Mr. Brightside" -- The Killers
"Take Me Out" -- Franz Ferdinand
"Waiting on the Doorstep" -- Filthy Boy
"Truth" -- Bloc Party
"Twisted Game" -- The Subways
"Tender" -- Blur
"Our Love Survives" -- The Thermals
"Naked in the City Again" -- Hot Hot Heat
"When Everyone Cheers" -- Filthy Boy
"Sober" -- Muse
"Kinda Girl You Are" -- Kaiser Chiefs
"This Modern Love"  --Bloc Party
"I Think She Likes Me" -- Treat Her Right
"Modern Way" -- Kaiser Chiefs
"My Heart is Pumping to a Brand New Beat" -- The Subways
"Mercury" -- Bloc Party
"Hysteria" -- Muse
"Madness" -- Muse
"The Globalist" -- Muse
"Hope" -- Descendents
"Mental Conditions" --Filthy Boy
"Fall In" -- Cloud Nothings
"Country House" -- Blur
"Song 2" --  Blur
"Mercy" -- Muse
"Helicopter" --Bloc Party
"Taking All the Blame" -- The Subways
"We are not Good People" -- Bloc Party
"Somebody Told Me" -- The Killers
"A Fond Farewell" -- Elliott Smith



The END of FUN Playlist Vol. 2
"Creeps Me  Out" -- Ima Robot
"In the Name of" -- Filthy Boy
"I'm in Love and it's Burning" -- The Subways
"Where is Home" -- Bloc Party
"So Here We Are" -- Bloc Party
"Sober" -- Muse
"Sugar Coated Bitter Truth" -- Slaves
"Flathead" -- The Fratellis
"Mercury" -- Bloc Party
"WOW! 7 am" --Slaves
"Parklife" -- Blur
"Walk Away" -- Franz Ferdinand
"The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret" -- Queens of the Stone Age
"Uprising" -- Muse
"Rowing" -- Soundgarden
"Tender" -- Blur
"Centurion" -- The Baddies
"You Can Have It All" -- Kaiser Chiefs
"Cool Universe" -- Ima Robot
"I Want You" -- Hanoi Rocks

Quick little truth about me? When I get really drunk sometimes, I like to speak with a British accent. Not JUST a British accent, it'll float over into Irish, Scottish, and sometimes all the way down under to Australia... occasionally, I'll even slip back into my own childhood Kentucky accent... But mostly the British thing.. What type of British accent, you ask? I'm not sure and probably sound very irritating to any native Brits as my accent zigzags all around their isle as well as off the map entirely!


Most of my favorite bands right now are from England. It's a phase. Partly related to my fascination, while drunk, of the British accent and partly to a series of graphic novels called  "Phonogram" by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, clearly!). Finally, one of my best friends in real life, a gem of a man, loved by all who know him--Dan Koven, regularly supplies me with new music and guess where his tastes lie...? Yup.


Telling you all this for no other reason than providing a little context for the Brit-heavy list you see above. Many of you who knew me in my 20's or are familiar with my own old rock band WILD LOVE REBELLION, likely expected much more metal and lots of grunge nostalgia. One of Soundgarden's newer songs did make the cut above, "Rowing" (PLEASE check it out-- awesome song), and I do still rock out regularly to other stuff by them, Nirvana, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, etc., but my current binge-crave cycle is very very British!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment